Sunday, September 15, 2013

We got in!!!!!!!!!

If you know me or have read this blog - you know that my first career path did not call for any kind of artistic approach to life.  I guess I was creative with arguments and words but not artistic.  So this new path has been fraught with insecurity for me.  When Tom suggested that I start selling my immediate thought was "I AM NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!"  And that thought has reigned almost supreme until it was crowded out by a quieter more humble thought of "what do you have to lose?"  PRIDE I thought.  But pride has never really been all that great to me so I figured what the hell it sure beats litigating!  However with each new show or venue that was suggested, I would revisit the same pangs of insecurity.  Each time I expected to fail and instead made money, was encouraged and praised that what I brought to the show was not only good enough but it was really cool.  I couldn't believe it!  Me - the person who can't draw stick figures!  Me - the person who is not a trained designer!  Me - the person who last took art in the 8th grade!  Me!??!?!?

I know that I don't compare to the true designers - I don't have the education, experience or background but apparently I do have enough of what it takes because I (we) have been accepted into a high end antique show in November.  This show receives national media attention and draws people from all over the Northern hemisphere!  I cannot believe that I will have the privilege to sell next to people who have been trained and have years and years of experience!  I am so excited and nervous that I want to throw up!

It seems that my head might continue to play the old tapes (yes they are tapes in my head - I am over 40 you know) of the "I'm not good enough" chorus but I don't have push play all the time.  I don't think that I will ever feel good enough but I do feel like I am willing to try.  Being willing to try, in my experience, is sometimes all you need...breaking the tape recorder also doesn't hurt!

Hope you find the willingness to try something your head says you can't - soon!

Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment